03 Apr Espresso Chocolate Cheesecake
The perfect combination in the same recipe – Dessert and Coffee all in on slice.Chocolate lovers and Coffee lovers will love this over-the-top cheesecake, it’s easy to bake and don’t require many ingredients.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup unsalted butter
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
2 tablespoons espresso or strongly brewed coffee
4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 ½ cups sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
½ cup sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
- Prepare the crust; in a medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, sugar and lemon zest. Cut in the butter until it is evenly distributed and the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the vanilla and the egg yolks one at a time, until the mixture begins to mass together. Shape into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350c. Butter a 10-inch spring form pan. Separate 1/3 of dough from the rest and, using your finger; press it into the bottom of the pan to form a layer about 1/8 inches thick. Bake for about 8 minutes, until the dough begins to crisp. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack, reduce the oven to 250c.
- As soon as the pan is cool enough to handle, press the rest of the dough onto the sides, leaving ½ inch of the pan exposed at the top.
- Make the filling; in a small heavy saucepan, melt the chocolate with the coffee over very low heat. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer on moderate speed until fluffy, about 2 mins. Add the sugar and beat until it is dissolved and the mixture is smooth. Ad the eggs on at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the sour cream, lemon juice and the vanilla. Beat in the chocolate and coffee mixture until blended and smooth.
- Pour the filling into the pan and bake for 1 ½ hours, or until the cake is set around the edges but soft in the middle.
- Let cool on a rack to room temperature, for about 2 hours. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, or overnight.
- Before serving, remove the sides from the spring form pan and cut the cake into thin